In Game Of Inches Taft Comes Up Short

Taft loses double-overtime thriller against Lane Tech

Taft senior quarterback Jakwon Derry stretches the ball across the goaline in Taft's 26-23 (2OT) loss to Lane.

Fitte

Fitte

Haley Perez, Reporter

In a game that spanned two days, Taft lost a heart-breaker to Lane Tech 26-23 in double-overtime.

The Eagles were ready to play against Lane Tech Saturday for homecoming.  A torrential downpour caused the surface at Lane Stadium to bubble and game officials decided to postpone the game with the score tied 0-0 at the start of the second quarter.

The game resumed 4:30 p.m. Sunday afternoon. Both defenses were stout in the second quarter and both teams went into halftime scoreless.   The teams exchanged touchdowns in the third quarter and began the 4th with score tied 7-7.

Lane scored the first touchdown of the 4th quarter taking a 14-7 lead. Taft responded as senior quarterback Jakwon Derry threw a 9-yard touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Kevin Gniedziejko tying the game at 14-14.  Taft had the ball deep in their own territory with under a minute to play, but an efficient use of the clock helped put senior kicker Marek Klimek in position to attempt a 47-yard game-winning field goal.  The attempt missed wide left and the game went to over time.

Lane got the ball and they capitalized to score but botched the snap on the extra point. Taft responded with a Jakwon Derry touchdown run to tie the game at 20. The extra point hit the left crossbar, sending the game in double-overtime with the score tied at 20.

Beginning the second overtime Taft offense is on first and they were unable to score and were forced to kick a field goal which they made giving them three more points to the board bringing the score to 23-20. Lane capitalized and scored a touchdown to win the game in 26-23 in double-overtime.

“It’s gut-wrenching to lose a game like this,” said head coach John Tsarouchas.  “We lost this game by being careless with the football.  You can’t expect to win when you lose the turnover battle 4-1 and have touchdowns called back due to penalties.  It’s a game of inches.  A few inches here, a few inches there and the outcome is completely different.  We had every opportunity to win and we couldn’t capitalize.”

The Eagles lost three fumbles and threw an interception against Lane.  The Eagles now wait to find out who their opponent is in the first-round of the CPS playoffs.