Home Is Where The Heart Is

Taft’s Annual Homecoming Pep Rally

Boys+Varsity+Soccer+running+to+join+the+pep+rally+

Boys Varsity Soccer running to join the pep rally

Katie Morris, Reporter

The 2017 Taft Homecoming Pep Rally held in the gym, was one event you did not want to miss. Gym Teacher, Brett Nishibayashi, was the master of ceremonies (MC) for the event.

The annual Taft Homecoming Pep Rally is an event that many students and fall athletes look forward to. There were performances and showings by Taft’s cheerleading team, poms team, and the marching band. All the Fall sports teams were announced so they can hype up the crowd and show their eagle spirit. The student body also joins in the games with the annual musical chairs battle and then the pie eating contest! This year the winner for the musical chairs was junior, Adriana Klemensiewicz, and the pie eating contest winner was Ricardo Roman. Towards the end of the event the homecoming court is then announced, this year’s homecoming King and Queen are Giancarlo Hochleutner and Ashley Barrios.

Homecoming King and Queen accepting their crowns

“I personally think that either the cheer team performance or when all the teams come out are my favorite. The cheer team doesn’t get the recognition they deserve as they always cheer for other programs, and it is always good when they get to perform for themselves, I personally am a huge fan. I also think it is fun when the teams come out because they have the freedom to do little celebration for themselves,” said Hochleutner via. text message.

Hochleutner won Homecoming King, although not participating in campaigning or paying attention to the fact that he was nominated at all. Hochleutner is on the varsity soccer team here at Taft, one of the fall sports that run into the gymnasium.

Coach B. Nishibayashi has been the MC the last two years for the Homecoming Pep Rally. He makes the student body’s excitement rise and is all about having the crowd participate.

“I definitely look forward to the pep rally. It’s a great experience for students and faculty. I really enjoy seeing the amount of school spirit that is exhibited at this event. It brings me great pride as an alumni to see the gym packed with great positive energy,” said Nishibayashi via. Email.

Barrios won Homecoming Queen and also won Princess the year before. Barrios is on varsity cheer at Taft and received the opportunity to perform alongside her team for pep rally.

“I knew I was going to be picked to be in the running of homecoming queen but I did not know I was going to win! I was super excited about winning and most importantly getting to wear the crown. Giancarlo and I did ask people to vote for us but most of them already voted for us before we asked,” said Barrios via. text message.

The Pep Rally was a huge success and is every year. It is a great way to show your school pride, so go next year!