Benefits Of Having Extra Time

Ted Claveria, Reporter

Later school times lead to more productive students and happier teachers. A couple minutes of extra time before first period classes would help students maintain better behavior.

Students should have more time to get to their first period classes. Not everyone lives close to their school. Although some students live close to school,  most students have to take public transportation. Being late results in points being taken off of students grades. This is unfair since not everyone has the resources to get to school on time. There will always be students that will take advantage of this extra time, but most of these kids really need this time to get to their first periods on time. Students that are late with legitimate reasons have to face severe consequences such as detention. One reason to delay first period classes would be to give students who get here early have a chance to do their homework before school or use the computers to print out their homeworks/projects.

You might be thinking students should do their homework at home, but the majority of students have extra curricular activities after school. Many sports and clubs end really late leading students to forget or have no time to do their assignments. This also affects students that work, since many students have to work to support their family and they get off really late. If we added more time before first period classes, students would feel less stressed because they did some of their school work and don’t have to worry for the rest of the day. If kids are less stressed during school, they are less likely to cause trouble for the teachers to deal with. All of this can happen if we add a little bit of time before our first period classes.

“Adding more time to our first period class will improve our attendance, therefore increasing the school’s reputation. Also we get more sleep,”said Salvador Espino.

According to Early vs. Late School Start Times: How they affects students physically, being an adolescent. We need every minute of sleep we can get. Adolescent students who do not get enough sleep are at a higher risk for sleep deprivation. Sleep deprivation impairs kids ability to be alert, pay attention, solve problems and cope with stress. Students that sleep fewer than six hours per night may have increase blood pressure as well.

“Students suffers depression because of homework,” said Kristian Alberto.

A study at the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey shows that those students who get less than seven hours of sleep per night were 27% more likely to develop obesity as opposed to to those who have 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night.

Pushing back first period class should prevent all of this from happening. Also students that get more sleep at night would become less stressed, healthier, and happier.