Senioritis Takes Hold on Seniors

As the year slowly makes its way to the end, seniors are put through the ringer.

Alyssa Ortega, Columns Editor

It’s officially the last quarter of the year, and seniors are now feeling the seriousness of senioritis. The lack of motivation to do work and come to school is dangerously low. It’s about 7 weeks till graduation, and I fear some seniors will not make it.

As a reminder, Google defines senioritis as “a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.”

A lot of Taft seniors are missing a lot of school and have plummeting grades. Since the prom committee announced that having a certain attendance rate is not a requirement, seniors have been racking up the unexcused absences.

An anonymous Taft senior said “I ditch a lot of the school day and just go home. I try to do my homework and study, but it just feels pointless now. I don’t know how I will last another 6 weeks of school. I’m so over it.”

According to the seniors, school feels like a hassle now. In reality, the seniors have the most to look forward to like prom and graduation, but the actual school work makes everything feel so far away.

I spoke to a friend of mine who goes to Catholic private school. She said she also feels the intensity of senioritis. It’s weighing down her motivation for soccer and her finals.

Although she is feeling senioritis, her school graduates so much earlier than us. Her prom and final days of school fall mid May. While Taft students have to wait another month.

Personally, after spring break I felt so exhausted with school. I have some unexcused absences simply because I did not want to wake up early. I have to stay focused for my AP exam in May, but it’s going to be difficult for me.