Taft Students Explore College and Career Options

Taft students explore college and career options with the help of Taft counseling staff.

Emily Rogel, News Editor

Ms. Aragon, a College and Career Coach at Taft High School, works alongside counselors to provide aid during the college application and career exploration process. Opportunities are readily available to juniors and seniors, but there are also ways for underclassmen to receive the same support.

One of the many options offered is Northwestern Academy’s multi-year program for Chicago Public Schools. It is designed to prepare diverse, academically motivated CPS students to matriculate to highly competitive colleges and universities successfully.

Applicants must be currently enrolled in 9th or 10th grade and must come from a household of limited financial means, identify with a racial or ethnic group that is traditionally underrepresented in higher education, or be the first-generation in their family to attend a four-year college in the United States.

For students interested in the workforce, Genesys Works is another available option for 11th grade students. This program helps students create career pathways and opportunities for them to learn more about business technology and how to achieve a successful future career.

Ms. Hutton, a counselor at Taft High School, says it’s “encouraging to see that more students are eager to get a head-start on the college application process,” and pushes juniors to sign up for individual college and career counseling. Appointments are first come first serve and held after school on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from the beginning of March to the end of May.

Parents are welcome to join in person or virtually and all 30 minute long sessions are held in room 270i. Ms. Hutton looks forward to meeting with you!