Vote to End School in May

CPS offers students, teachers, and parents the opportunity to vote for the school calendar. Option two is the best choice for all.

Amanda Ortiz, Reporter

Chicago Public Schools (CPS) is notorious for starting the school year super late and ending the school year super late.

While many have asked CPS officials to reconsider the late end date of the school year, it’s remained the same since the time of our parents. This has all changed now with the new calendar vote for the 2022-23 school year.

An email went home to students about a week ago from Taft High School explaining the two choices given. The first one was the regular school year schedule starting August 29th, 2022 and ending June 14, 2023.

The second, personally my favorite, choice is to start August 22, 2022 and end June 7th, 2023. However, the end of the first semester will end with winter break, marking a more significant end to the semester.

This option will also allow seniors to end school in May, with the rest of Chicagoland area students. In the email, it also entailed the idea that students would have time to start a summer job earlier. This would be great for seniors during this year as they could make some extra money before beginning their college adventures.

Although I am a senior this year, my brother will be a senior next year and for his benefit and all Taft students, the second option is the best fit and best opportunity for all.