Hope for the Homeless Club Raises Awareness for Sarah’s Circle Winter Walk

Kathryn McLoughlin, Reporter

Sarah’s Circle, the all women’s homeless shelter in Chicago, held the Chicago’s Winter Walk event to raise awareness of homeless women, and the harsh realities of being homeless in a large, cold, city, this past Sunday, February 28.

This year, William Howard Taft students got involved; promoting the event, giving other students resources on the cause, and participating in the event. 

Taft students partnered with their fellow Taft community to help raise crucial funds for homeless women, and homeless all-women shelters such as Sarah’s Circle. These funds go to helping homeless women in Chicago  get off the streets and into a bed. Students are given the opportunity to help fundraise the money and donate. 

Taft’s Hope for the Homeless club has also created a fundraising page on the Sarah’s Circle website to collect donations. So far they have raised over $1,000. 

The Taft community also helped raise awareness by participating in the actual one mile-long walk event. Along the way, participants took pictures of themselves and used the hashtag #WelcomeHomeWalk, tagging @Sarahs_Circle_Chicago on social media.

The event ended on February 28 at 1 P.M. with a live ribbon-cutting ceremony for Sarah’s Circle newest location for an all women’s homeless shelter. Even though the event is over, students can still access the information on how to get involved. 

Click here to get more information on Sarah’s Circle, and on how you get involved in Hope for the Homeless.