Case Counts Climb; Taft Students Share COVID Experiences

NHPR

Kathryn McLoughlin, Reporter

With one out of every 25 Chicago residents testing positive for coronavirus, some Taft students who have tested positive share their experience tackling COVID-19 and going to school. Chicago, and the rest country, are currently going through its second wave of COVID-19 with Chicago surpassing 2000 cases per day at times this month.

Taft junior Layan Nazzal contracted the virus. 

“Yes I’m one of those people that are very safe, but yet I still got it… I am unable to do any of my work. I haven’t done any work in the past two weeks. It just affects everything, and everyone in my family got it.” 

Nazzal has experienced many limitations since becoming sick. 

“We can’t go to the grocery store or do anything until this passes over. We can’t even leave our house.”

Some students who got coronavirus earlier in the year had a much different experience tackling the virus. 

Senior Brian McLoughlin shares, “When I got COVID, it was in April. We weren’t really in full-time school so I was pretty much unaffected academically.” 

McLoughlin’s symptoms were not as bad and were different than Nazzal’s, as well. 

“I just had terrible headaches and loss of taste. Mentally, I felt the same, it was just like a bad cold.”  

Chicago, and the rest country, are currently going through its second wave of COVID-19 with Chicago surpassing 2000 cases per day at times this month.

McLoughlin explained that he got the virus from his dad, who frequently enters people’s homes as he is a firefighter, whereas Nazzal got it from her sister who brought it home from school. 

Senior Lizbeth Morales also dealt with COVID-19, but she was asymptomatic.

“Early this month my dad was experiencing symptoms of the virus, so he went to get tested and it came back positive. Up until today I only had cold symptoms, and then after a long time I lost my sense of taste and smell.” 

With COVID-19 cases on the rise, it is recommended students follow all public health guidelines to help minimize the spread of the virus.