Remote Learning Impacting Students Mental Health

As students adapt to remote learning environments, the status of their mental health is a growing concern. 

“Remote learning has really taken a big toll on my mental health. It’s made me feel very unmotivated and depressed. School has really seemed optional lately when it shouldn’t be.” said junior Natalie Guzman via text message. 

The current school day for Taft students extends from 7:45 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Students have 8 periods of 50-minute classes, with 40 minutes of each period dedicated to synchronous learning. 

Students who suffer from anxiety or depression are especially struggling during this time. Remote learning can be very draining and unhealthy for a person to sit in front of a computer screen for eight hours on end.  

Students are finding it difficult to get their work done and turning it in on time. Students have loads of homework, and also have their personal life to worry about, as well as other factors that may be stressful in their lives aside from school. Being able to learn about others and getting to know others without the face to face contact is another challenge students and teachers face. 

“Maintaining my work and trying to turn all of my homework in on time is a hard obstacle because the assignments are more challenging than when we were at school,” said junior Evelyn Rivera via text message.

Grading papers is a “normal” everyday task that a teacher does, but after teaching all day online, grading online feels like a grind. Not being able to interact personally with students is making it hard to get to know them.” said Captain Mark Jenkins of Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps via email. 

For resources and support with mental health, students can email their counselors, as well as involve themselves in support groups that will always be willing to help with moral support, to ensure that students feel comfortable at Taft High School.