Guidone Wins Again; Eagles Take School-Best Second Place At City

Lucas+Guidone+wins+the+City+Championship.+The+Eagles+took+second-place+as+a+team.+

Jorge Espinosa - Mile Split IL

Lucas Guidone wins the City Championship. The Eagles took second-place as a team.

Isabel Comacchio, Editor

Senior Lucas Guidone continued his undefeated season, winning the boys cross country City Championship.  His history-making performance helped spur the Eagles to a second-place finish–the best in school history.

Head coach, James Bleicher was satisfied with the boys’ performances.

“I couldn’t be more proud of the whole team. Lucas is our first ever boys cross country city champion, and the other six varsity runners ran the best races of their lives. It really couldn’t have gone much better than it did. But I’m excited because I know with a couple weeks left in the season there are still improvements to be made,” said Bleicher via email.

Guidone won the 3-mile varsity race at 15:16:02.

“I feel great! Winning city has been a goal of mine since freshman year,” said Guidone via text.

Even winning the city championship doesn’t keep Guidone from focusing on improving.

“If I went out faster the first mile I could have ran an overall faster time but my goal was to secure the win,” said Guidone via text.

Bleicher and the team were focused on training for IHSA Regional competition on Saturday, October 24. Rather than overworking the boys, Bleicher took a different approach.

“We will prepare in a similar fashion as City. We don’t do the exact same workouts, but it is similar in nature. The more important theme of the week is making sure there isn’t a post-City letdown. We want to make sure we take care of business and be one of the five teams from our Regional that qualify for Sectionals,” said Bleicher via email.

Guidone further explained what the practices consisted of. “We’re running less miles and doing shorter workouts so everyone feels fresh and ready to run on Saturday,” said Guidone via text.

Up next for the Eagles, IHSA Regionals, October 24.