Taft Golf Wraps Up COVID-Shortened Season

Taft golfers hit the links.

Chloe Clark, Reporter

An abbreviated high school golf season just finished and it was a season unlike any other. The pandemic created new challenges for Taft golfers and even brought some new rules to the game. 

“For example, you can not share clubs, equipment or pull pins from the greens,” said senior Tommy Cahill. “Safety precautions the coaches took included wearing masks, completing pre-practice screeners and enforcing the rules of social distancing.”

Coaches had to implement and execute a variety of new procedures, including completing health screening forms and conducting temperature checks, but finding new ways to coach may have been the most challenging.

“It was difficult to coach the players on their individual game and work on strategy when we could not practice fundamentals at a driving range,” said Taft boys golf coach Christopher Chesnut via email.

Despite the challenges of the pandemic, the Eagles had a successful golf season, connecting with head Coach Christopher Chesnut. 

“Our team excelled in almost every aspect of the game. We really didn’t have any weaknesses because of our amazing coach, Christopher Chesnut, who taught us how to master the game,” said Taft Senior Danny Loch.

The Eagles enjoyed a competitive schedule with challenging matchups against the likes of Walter Payton, Whitney Young and New Trier. 

“We played against some really good teams this year which was challenging. Still, we were able to have 6 players qualify for the city championship,” said Danny Loch.

While Taft does not have any seniors pursuing a college for golf, meaningful connections were forged. 

“My most memorable moment from the season was playing my first golf match ever. It was a really fun experience and I enjoyed the season with my teammates,” said Cahill. 

“The season was lots of fun and I’ve made some great bonds with my teammates,” said senior David Loch.