Over 39,000 Sign Petition To Shorten School Day

Kathryn McLoughlin, Reporter

A petition to shorten the remote learning school day for Chicago Public Schools (CPS) students has already gained over 39,000 signatures, including those of some Taft students. 

The petition, created anonymously on change.org urges leaders at CPS to shorten the virtual school day from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Currently, Taft students are working through a full-length virtual school day stretching from 7:45 a.m to 3:00 p.m. Students are expected to be signed-in and in front of their screens for 40 minutes in each of their classes. Some students feel this is too much screen time. 

“I would really encourage everyone to sign [the petition] because I just don’t believe it’s healthy for us to be staring at a computer screen for 8 hours a day–for students or teachers,” said Taft junior Riahn Reyes.

The demands of remote learning have left students pinched for time in some instances. 

“The school days, in general, are just too long. Even when we were going to school I didn’t have much time to do things like spend time with my family, or go to work. Shortening the virtual school day would fix that problem for me,” said junior Natalia Larios.

The petition launched at the end of September and has already received more than 39,000 signatures. The petition claims a shortened virtual school day would increase attendance, class participation, and help students balance various responsibilities. 

Some students disagree with the petition, and believe that shortening the CPS virtual school days would only ensure that students don’t learn anything. 

Taft senior Hector Berrios said, “Even with the school day being 8 hours long, now that it is online I feel like I’m not learning anything. Shortening the school day wouldn’t help me academically.”

CPS hasn’t addressed the petition, nor will they. CPS recently announced the majority students will remain in remote learning throughout the first semester.