Wrestlers complete City 3-peat – “No mercy”

Xzavier Aguilar, Reporter

Taft Wrestling lived up to their motto “No Mercy” by winning another City Championship on Jan.18, making it a three-peat for the wrestling Eagles.

The Eagles finished the tournament as a three time city champ as well as having  individual championships in different weight classes: Amarri Arguelles (Div. 025) at 126, Colin Roque (Div. 221)  at 113, Julian Valtierrez (Div.024) at 120, Nicholaus Lesch (Div. 237) at 152, Patrick Diete (Div. 236) at 106, Joseph Arroyo (Div. 125) at 138 and Gilbert Dubiel (Div 017) at 220 all placing first.

Gilbert Dubiel, Patrick Diete, Colin Roque, Amarri Arguelles, , Julian Valtierrez, Joseph Arroyo, Nicholaus Lesch placed first in their respective weight class.
Photographer Melissa Parra.

Dubiel said, “I’ve only been wrestling for two years, and I never thought I would be where I am right now. The experience was great. We pretty much smoked every school that was there. When I won, I was so happy; all the hard work and dedication I put in paid off.” Dubiel achieved a record of 38-10 after City.

“I really enjoyed wrestling alongside my team but I really wish the season lasted longer. It was really cool being able to win city three times in a row both as a team and myself,” said Arguelles, who also achieved a record of 42-5.

Taft finished with seven first place finishers, two fourth place finishers; Isaiah Avina at 285 and Salbert Flores at 182 and one fifth place finisher, Grzegorz Krupa at 195.

“It feels good. It’s our goal every year to win city, but to win three in a row shows your really doing the right things,” said Head Coach Brad Engel.

As the Eagles gained momentum from their three-peat for city, the Eagles focus for a spot in the state playoffs.

“It’s one of our goals checked off the list, gives our guys a lot of confidence. It’s always good to play some matches that we can win. Our focus now is the state series and regionals, which if we win that, it will be the first time a Taft team has won regional. Taft has only won one regional in eighty-one years in any sports. So hopefully we can get business done at Niles West in February,” said Engel

The varsity wrestling team shows no sign of slowing down after their third City title as they begin their quest to bring home Taft something even bigger, a Regionals Championship. Regionals will be held on Feb. 8 at Niles West High School.