New year; new me

Isabel Commachio, Reporter

Whether it’s drinking less soda or trips to the gym, the new year makes room for better habits and resolutions. How successful are these methods, and how long do they stick?

Focusing on well being has always been a common goal for starting a new year. Taking time to get your hair or nails done, or simply a day off to de-stress might give you the boost to conquer your days.

Junior Luca Stanis (Div.132) believes that people’s goals, like hers, won’t be instant. “I probably want to focus on bettering myself by taking the time to make myself happy…there is no time limit for resolutions, I’ll know when it happens.”

Utilizing materialistic things may be helpful when attempting to achieve a new years resolution. Buying a calendar and colorful pens to write down goals and customize can make it more fun when it comes to finding time for self care. Organization is a key factor to accomplishing less physical and more mental resolutions.

“I have one new years resolution and it is to be more positive. To achieve this, I’ve been trying to not compare my life to others and start appreciating the little things I can do for myself. I think new year resolutions are a good idea to better yourself  for a whole new chapter but you don’t have to wait until January 1st. I think as long as you are working towards something the end goal will eventually come when it does it doesn’t matter when it matters that you did it,” said Emma Rowley, Div 135.

Participants seem to agree that time is not an issue when it comes to new year resolutions. The top priority is the completion of the goal.

“I think they are kind of silly because you should always be striving to be a better person, not just when the new year comes around, but if it works for you then go get it. I don’t think if you have any type of goal or new years resolution that you have to finish in a certain time. As long as you finish and accomplish everything you wanted and did it well you can do it quick or take your sweet time,” said Christian Olivares, Div 127.

Why start the year in defeat? Instead of dismissing an opportunity to better yourself, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania urges to think twice. *(38% of Americans refuse to make any resolutions at all.) However, according to Wharton operations and information management professor Maurice Schweitzer, New Year’s resolutions do have some value. The new year provides a “salient reference point” for setting a goal — How much did I weigh at the beginning of the year? — and forming resolutions “helps us identify important issues. If we spend time, reflect and work to identify a key issue, this itself can be very helpful.*

Resolutions make completing difficult tasks like regular trips to the gym a little easier. The outcome is well worth the toil as long as there is self satisfaction. If it’s not for the beginning of the year, creating a goal in order to better yourself and accomplishing it is something worth celebrating.