Hope for the future

Marr depicts many different objects and people in her paintings, such as sandwiches or original characters. 
Artwork by Hope Marr.

Marr depicts many different objects and people in her paintings, such as sandwiches or original characters. Artwork by Hope Marr.

Ella Ridge, Reporter

If you ever visit an art gallery in the future, you will  see featured works of art by Taft’s very own, Senior Hope Marr (Div. 033). This Eagle has been creating masterpieces ever since she can remember and continues to explore all different mediums as she explores her options beyond high school.

Over the years, Marr has touched every facet of art including sketching, drawing, painting, sculpture, and photography. She has been lucky enough to have attended Marwen, an art school located downtown that is dedicated to helping young artists, grades 6-12, from underprivileged areas express and grow their art skills. I’ve gone to art school for young kids downtown known as Marwen. I took a pottery and photography class there,” said Marr.

Taft provides a variety of different art classes for all grades. During her time at Taft, Marr has taken a total of five art classes.

“Within Taft, I’ve taken studio sculpture, printmaking and studio art. Not including drawing and crafting classes, I’ve also taken guitar and drama, both Level 1,” explained Marr.

As far as her future is concerned, Marr isn’t one hundred percent certain attending a full time art school is her next move. Marr is taking a pragmatic approach to her decision and considering all of her options.

“The main reason I’ve considered art school is because of the college course I took over the summer. I’ve realized that art can be relevant in everyday life and that I can use it in different careers,” said Marr.

One thing Marr is sure about is that she wants to stay close to home, her family, and her new 6 month old brother.

“Another option for college I’m considering is a community college. I am considering this because it will cost less and will give me time to figure out myself and what I would like to do, in terms of a career,” said Marr.

Regarding art schools, there are two colleges she is considering in the Chicagoland area.

“I’ve mainly been looking at Columbia College and Flashpoint Chicago for art schools, mainly because they are both in Chicago,” mentioned Marr.

It is clear that Marr’s love of art will take her far. Taft wishes Marr luck as she finds the best option for her future.