Sage’s midnight summer dream

Sage’s midnight summer dream

Kenaz-Mara preforms wholeheartedly on the stage of A Midsummer Night's Dream. 
Photographer Carmella Gilio

Photographer Carmella Gilio

Photographer Carmella Gilio

Photographer Carmella Gilio

Isabel Commachio, Reporter

New year, New play. Taft Drama took on one of William Shakespeare’s most popular works, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” featuring Sage Kenaz-Mara (Div. 123) playing the role of Hermia, ends up with the boy of her dreams.

William Shakespeare, one of the most renowned playwrights in history, not only created beautiful work but used language that is poetic yet challenging. Loads of time and practice were needed to perfect Shakespeare’s old English script.

“Mr. Tuggle helped us a ton with actually understanding what we were saying. It was extremely helpful to have someone translating the Shakespearean language because it is tricky. I had a good idea of my character just from reading the script and already knowing the story,” said Kenaz-Mara.

“I primarily worked as a text coach, helping the actors make sense of their lines. Shakespeare is kind enough to leave many clues as to how an actor should approach lines by his use of punctuation, but you have to know how to read the clues,” said English teacher Darren Tuggle.

“Our vision is not authentic Shakespeare it’s condensed a lot and the language was made a bit easier, but it’s still Shakespeare so it just took extra repetition thankfully most of the lines rhymed,” continued Kenaz-Mara.

That was not the only challenge Taft Drama faced, without being able to contact their director because of the CPS strike, the students had to take matters into their own hands. With the help of former Poms/Cheer member, the process could be called a success.

“As a cast, we actually met nearly every day of the strike. We rehearsed at Norwood, in Taft’s halls, and even in the alleys of people’s houses. There was no way of getting help from our director at this time so we directed a lot of the show ourselves. I even stepped up and choreographed the puppet dance. I truly believe if we hadn’t met all those days on our own the show would not be ready,” said Kenaz-Mara.

Before the strike, the MND cast practiced every day after school. These members had clear dedication towards producing their adaptation of Shakespeare that would be a dream in the audience’s eyes.

“We had rehearsal almost every day after school and we mostly broke up into our groups so lovers, fairy’s, and rustics(actors). We would warm up together and then direct specific parts and if you weren’t running a scene or dance you would run line,” said Kenaz-Mara.

“Sage was one of the first students I worked with. I was so impressed by her willingness to take chances with the language. I was so excited when I learned that she had a background as a circus performer. The first thing that I asked her was if she would be willing to do a flip during the play. She literally jumped at the chance!  I feel like that is the magic of theater. Shakespeare wrote Sage’s character, Hermia. What we all had the pleasure of seeing was Hermia, a character co-created by William Shakespeare and Sage Kenaz-Mara,” said Tuggle.

Taking initiative as well as risks, Sage Kenaz-Mara has shined through and proved that anything is possible with dedication and love for what you are doing. In the words of Shakespeare, “Though she be but little, she is fierce.” Congrats Sage and Taft Drama!