Athletes speak up about the strike

Ella Ridge , Reporter

With the CTU strike that occurred Oct. 17 until Oct, 31, many athletes were devastated by the impact it had on their sport. Many had to forfeit their position in high placing meets and competitions. Students speak up about the issue.

Anderson with teammate Chloe Clark (Div. 117) ready before a game. Photographer Ella Ridge.

Junior varsity volleyball player Angela Anderson (Div. A137) has been on Taft’s girls volleyball team since freshman year. Anderson and the team made it through the City finals and were headed to state in LaGrange, IL the week of October 28th, 2019. Unfortunately, the team was unable to play in any state games due to the CPS Teachers Strike.

During the strike, all of the CPS volleyball teams that made state playoffs were forced to forfeit.

“My team and I were disqualified from the state playoffs, which is very sad because we all worked so hard to get to that point. I believe CPS should have allowed all sports teams that were going to state to continue to practice in order to stay qualified,” said Anderson.

Anderson mentioned that she will not be able to play next year with the Seniors on her team because they will have graduated. “We all formed a really strong bond this year,” said Anderson. Playing with the Seniors gives younger players a chance to build up their skills and learn from more experienced players.

“It wasn’t fair for my team and I to have put in so much effort into something then have it taken away from us. We deserved to play in that game,” added Anderson.

Despite the State disqualification, the team advanced to City semi-finals.

Junior Maddie Parizek (Div. A137) has been playing for Taft’s girls varsity tennis team. In late September, Parizek and her team qualified for sectionals after playing in the Varsity Tournament at Maine East.

Parizek with a teammate prepped and ready before a home game. Photographer Ella Ridge.

Unfortunately, due to the CPS Teacher Strike, Parizek and the team had to forfeit their bid for sectionals.

“I thought it wasn’t fair for all of the students athletes to be punished for what the teachers decided was necessary. They took away my opportunity to go to sectionals with my team and be able to bond more with my team, especially the seniors that are graduating this year,” said Parizek.

Parizek and her varsity tennis team had been practicing and training for months prior, all leading up to their sectional bid.

“It took my team and I months to get to where we got and to have it be ripped away from us was bogus. My team and I have put in countless hours preparing for sectionals and all our hard work was just blown away without us even having a say in it,” said Parizek.

Despite the fact that Parizek and the team ended devastating note, she looks forward to next year’s sectional bid and the opportunities it will bring