Holla for Lolla!

Senior+Maya+Yee+and+her+friends+at+the+Lollapalooza+barricade%2C+last+year.++++

Holla for Lolla!

Senior Maya Yee and her friends at the Lollapalooza barricade, last year.

Marcin Klecha, Reporter

The official 2019 Lollapalooza lineup has been released on March 20, 2019 and will be held Aug. 1-4, 2019. People are either excited for the lineup or bummed out.

Conceived and created in 1991 by Jane’s Addiction singer Perry Farrell as a farewell tour for his band, Lollapalooza ran annually until 1997, and was revived in 2003.* It has been running since. Past lineups have been a solid answer, either very good or not good at all. But, this years lineup has been slightly controversial. People are saying that there’s not enough good Rap (Rhythm And Poetry) artists, or there’s a lot of EDM (Electronic Dance Music). Students and teachers at Taft also have mixed feelings about the lineup this year.

Senior Maya Yee (Div. 926) felt pretty content with the lineup this year. She states, “I believe that it is definitely worth it going to Lolla this year, there are a lot of underground artists still in the making, which is new and it gives a variety of different kinds of genres of music.” Yee’s favorite headliners are: The Chainsmokers and Flume.

Although those are her favorite headliners, she can’t wait to see Louis The Child. Yee says, “They have great visuals and good music to vibe to.” When asked who she would like to see that won’t perform this year, Yee said, “I am upset that Trippie Redd isn’t going, because there were a lot of rumors saying he was going to go based off both of his 2018 album releases.”

Junior Sandra Kurzyna (Div. 025) is also very excited to go to Lollapalooza this year. When asked what her favorite performers are, Kurzyna said, “Loud Luxury, The Chainsmokers, and Flume.” She encourages people to go all four days to the festival because “it’s so fun and it’s only once a year.” She is “upset that Kygo isn’t going to be there this year because he’s my favorite artist.”

Math teacher Justin Yesensky isn’t too impressed about this years lineup. He says, “Once they made it a four day instead of a three day, I feel like they watered down each day and took away bigger artists and spread them out.” When asked if he’s going this year, Yesensky said, “No, not this year. The only artists I would like to see are: Death Cab for Cutie and Chevelle.”

With the wide range of Country, Pop, EDM, Alternative, and Rap artists, it’s possible to find at least a few headliners that you’d like to see at Lollapalooza this year.