US: Movie Review

US: Movie Review

New horror film Us, written and directed by actor Jordan Peele, showed in theaters on March 22.

Alyssa Martinez, Reporter

On March 22, thriller and horror film Us played in movie theaters throughout the United States.

Adelaide Wilson, played by actress Lupita Nyong’o, struggles living through her life due to an unsolved and terrifying trauma she experienced during her childhood that left her traumatized throughout her life. When she spends time on vacation with her family and friends at the beach, Adelaide’s paranoia takes over and minor coincidences lead her to believe that her and her family aren’t safe anymore. As night falls, Adelaide and her family encounter four strangers in the driveway, but then they soon discover that those strangers are evil doppelgängers of themselves called “The Tethered”.

Director and writer of the movie Jordan Peele is a horror movie fan and according to Richard Newby, writer of the article The Films That Inspired Jordan Peele’s ‘Us’*, Peele got all of his inspiration from other horror movies. Peele made leading actress Lupita Nyong’o watch some recommended horror films to study for her characters role:

“To prepare his leading lady, Lupita Nyong’o, for Us, Peele assigned the actress a list of films to watch in order to create, as he told Entertainment Weekly, “a shared language.” These films included: The Birds (1963), The Shining(1980), Dead Again (1991), Funny Games (1997), The Sixth Sense (1999), A Tale of Two Sisters (2003), Martyrs (2008), Let the Right One In (2008), The Babadook (2014) and It Follows (2014).” said Newby.

Not only was he inspired by other horror film, but he was also inspired by his own personal experiences and thoughts. Alex Darus, writer of Jordan Peele Details Explanation Behind ‘Us’ Inspiration**, talked to Peele about the inspiration behind his movie. According to Darus, Peele got the inspiration from his midnight train rides in New York and that moment in his life influenced both his characters behavior and the meaning of the movie,

“The idea behind Us came from when he was a student in upstate New York. Every time he got out of  the midnight train, he would always imagine himself seeing his mirror image looking back at him in a tunnel…When he further explored this fear, he realized that one of the scariest things for humans is a fear of ourselves. He added that the film is inspired by some of his favorite horror films, but changes the main characters for the audience to see something they’ve never seen before,” said Darus.

Us received a 94% rating from Rotten Tomatoes*** with an average rating of 7.5 out of 10. This movie is recommended to people who enjoy thriller movies as well as movies with a lot of meaning and hidden messages within the film. The camera work of this movie focuses on parts of the messages that Peele wants the audience to pay attention to. It requires the audience to keep a close eye on those specific details, especially in the beginning, in order to fully understand Peele’s imagination and the conclusion of the movie. Although it is categorized as a horror and thriller film, the movie also has some of its funny moments as well to relieve the audience from tense and frightening situations between the characters in the movie. It is definitely a recommended  movie to watch with your friends and family if thriller and horror movie are a favored genre.