More than a counselor

Counselor+Karen+Devine+works+hard+to+ensure+the+students+of+Taft+are+taken+care+of.++

More than a counselor

Counselor Karen Devine works hard to ensure the students of Taft are taken care of.

Cerine Belmiloud, Reporter

As we’re trying to decide what classes to take next year, Taft counselors like Karen Devine are helping us make it all happen.

Counselors not only help students program our class schedules, but they help us with many more things like helping with college information and which careers could be a good fit for us. And, they are even there for us emotionally.

“No day is ever the same. We have a lot of planned activities, classroom lessons, small groups, meeting with students regarding college, career, classes for next year. We are responsible for supporting students in their academic, social/emotional, and college/career journey,” said Devine.

Devine hadn’t always been a counselor and was, in fact, an English teacher for 18 years. But as time went on she had realized that wasn’t all she wanted to be. She saw a chance, took it, and became a counselor. She’s been a counselor at Taft since 2013.

“I realized that a lot of teaching is counseling young people. I thought it would be great to get a degree to backup that work. At the time, they needed a counselor where I was teaching at Roosevelt High School, so I moved into that position,” said Devine.

“I think the stress comes in wanting to service all students/families and not having enough minutes in the day. The American School of Counseling Association recommends one counselor for every 250 students or less. At Taft, and in most of CPS, it’s about 1,400. But we find it a privilege to be school counselors at Taft. I always want to remind students to get to know their counselor. We have years of experience in connecting students with resources and counseling them on a strong path. We are right off the lunchroom, so stop by!” said Devine.

All things considered, be sure to say thanks to your counselor and let them know you appreciate them.