Talent at Taft

Talent at Taft

This is one of many of Podufalyy’s paintings. He is able to capture both still objects and humans in an interesting and realistic fashion.

Tatum Thompson, Reporter

Emerging artist Taft High School senior Viktor Podufalyy (Div. 928) received a full ride scholarship for his first year at The American Academy of Art.

The American Academy of Art is a prestigious fine arts college located in  downtown Chicago. The college offered Podufalyy a free year after he competed in a figure and still life drawing competition .

Podufalyy is excited to learn more fundamental skills as he pursues his artistic education, which began in his home country of Ukraine. “I learned some things [in Ukrainian after school art classes], and I am taking two [art] classes now [at Taft],” said Podufalyy. He is currently taking honors studio sculpture and AP studio art. Both classes provide Podufalyy with a lot of practice, which he says is essential as an artist.

Through his time in the visual arts program at Taft, his teachers have been incredibly impressed and are not surprised at how much Podufalyy is already achieving. One of his art teachers, Jennifer Trejo, described Podufalyy as “someone who never settles for anything. He works in his sketchbook tirelessly. He never just takes the easy route.” She said that he is a “perfect example” to use when teaching the artistic process, from inception to completion.

Another one of Podufalyy’s current art teachers, Amanda Nadig, said that “Viktor has a clever sense of humor and makes people laugh, but he is serious about his growth as an artist and is eager to learn all he can to improve his skills as an artist…The American Academy of Art is a perfect school for Viktor and he really deserves this scholarship. We are all so proud of him and look forward to seeing Viktor end up in a creative career he loves.”

Though he enjoys studying most forms of visual art, his primary medium is painting. Podufalyy explained that “you can show a lot with a painting. Just the feel and look of paints make it valuable…”

He hopes to learn skills that will prepare him for a future in film illustration. Podufalyy will be able to further explore his artistic talent while studying at The American Academy of Art.