Behind the Taft Today

Behind the Taft Today

Members of the Taft Today confer with each other on publishable articles.

Andres Hernandez, Reporter

Students in Taft’s Journalism class are tasked with the important responsibility to produce not only the Taft Today newspaper, but also the yearbook.

In previous years, Newspaper and Yearbook were two independent classes this year, however, the classes were merged in the 2018-2019 school year to create the journalism class.

Journalism students work on a 5-day cycles to produce articles for the newspaper. On day one, students work to brainstorm article ideas and create a plan of action on how they are going to gather information and details on the article they are writing. Day two and three are used to gather information as students conduct interviews and collect details. Student begin the writing process as well. On day four the students work collaboratively to peer edit their article to prepare them for submission on day five. The last day is used for final edits and the submission of articles and supplements to their editors.

Editors are the heads of the five categories on the Taft Today newspaper: News, Features, Editorials, Entertainment, and Sports. Editors are responsible for assigning articles to reporters and guiding them throughout the cycle. Editors are also in charge of the final composition of the papers which includes merging all of the publishable articles together.

“My favorite thing about journalism is the discovery. I love to interview the people that are so passionate about their interests, which gives me a glimpse into their life story. I think journalism reveals the raw beauty behind being a human, which makes me admire the diversity amongst people,” said senior Chief Editor Alexandra Kulikowski (Div. 945).

When working on the yearbook, students are assigned a specific page that they work on concurrently with the newspaper to complete. To complete a page students are required to conduct interviews, take photographs of Taft events, and put it all together using a computer program.

Along with production, Taft’s journalism class also participates in workshops and competitions.

On Friday Mar. 22,  the class took a trip to Roosevelt University to participate in one of these workshops. At the event students were able to gain valuable skills in writing and producing content. Junior Editor Yasmine Soria (Div. 027) received an award from the McCormick Foundation Fellowship, which granted Soria with upwards of $750 towards a summer journalism workshop of her choice.

“When I went up, I didn’t know how to feel; I kind of still don’t, to be honest, and I guess I still won’t until the time comes when I actually have to go to the workshop,” said Soria.

Journalism is a beneficial class for students as they learn and develop strong communication skills. It also allows students to work together as a team, preparing students for a working environment. If you’re interested, please contact Journalism teacher Anny Martinez in room 196 or email her at ammartinez1@cps.edu