Asian-American Night

Asian-American Night

Taft Asian-American clubs preparing for Asian-American night April 26.

Keely Simon, Reporter

On April 26, Taft hosted Asian American Night in the auditorium.

Going on its third year, proposed by Taft alumni Yuuka Ikeshita, Taft’s Asian-American students continue to carry out the tradition. Senior Kristy Ta (Div. 916) is a member of Vietnamese club and also helped take part in putting together Asian-American Night. Ta wants to bring awareness to Asian-American culture at Taft and outside of school.

“This event celebrates and brings awareness to Asian American culture. We showcase performances from Taft Asian clubs and also invite clubs from other schools in order to bring people together in appreciation for the Asian American culture and our community,” said Ta.

Senior president of Belly Dancing club and department chair of South-Asian club Mari Vela (Div. 932) hopes that students who attend Asian-American night have a greater appreciation for the students hard work in assembling the event and their dedication towards the Asian-American culture in the city.

“The message of Asian-American Night is to embrace your culture as well as to open yourself up to other cultures. We hope that our performances will wow the audiences and peak their interests, but mainly we want people to see displays of multiple different cultures from a common region such as Asia. We are all inclusive and hope that everyone will find their own place within our groups,” said Vela.

Prior to the show, students have been working hard behind the scenes for Asian- American night. One of their biggest accomplishments for the night is inviting surrounding city schools to come and perform. Schools such as Lane Technical High School, Frederick Von Steuben Metropolitan Science Center, Northside College Preparatory High School, and Wright have all been confirmed to perform during the event.

“This night very important as it allows us to be able to embrace the culture that we grew up on as well as for other people to appreciate cultures that aren’t frequently showcased or represented in our everyday lives. This event’s creation is important as it allows our Chicago community of schools to collaborate in a common goal and be able to enjoy Asian culture,” added Vietnamese club member Tam Le (Div. 915).