Passing through Peru

Passing through Peru

Taft Eagles enjoy the splendors of Peru while engaging in many activities during their visit.

Andres Hernandez, Reporter

On Apr. 10 students traveled on a 9 day trip to Peru on an eye-opening experience.

Taft students have traveled overseas to the home country of the great Inca Empire- Peru. Peru is a country of rich history and culture, it’s home to part of the Amazon forest, the great Andes mountains, and also the colonial city of Cusco. The main reason for going to Peru was to complete a service project.

“My favorite part of the trip was the service project. We learned about the community and we were able to help in an authentic and genuine way. We didn’t do anything easy. We did what they needed us to do,” said history teacher and trip coordinator Rachael Nicholas.

The trip included an immense experience packed full of sightseeing and adventure. Along with getting to see the beauties of Macchu Picchu, students also got to visit the cities of Lima (Peru’s Capital) and Ollantaytambo, they also visited the catacombs of Lima and the local shopping markets.

The trip to Peru offered many opportunities for students to build on their cultural sensitivity and also to dive in and explore an environment away from home.

“The most memorable experience in Peru was the hike down the entrance of Machu Picchu. The views were unbelievable. Towards the end of the trail, a lot of people’s legs started to shake from all the walking, but we didn’t care and the whole way down the group was having a lot of fun,” said Daniela Badami, Div. 021.

Traveling to a country that was away from home was a life-changing experience for some. Students were given the opportunity to aid a local village. Students helped to build a wall in a weaving center in Huilloc, an indigenous community in the Sacred Valley.

“[In Peru] I learned that it’s important to take a step back when you view the things in your life after visiting the village we were helping. It’s very easy to only focus on what’s going on in your life without realizing that there’s a lot more out there than just you,” said Badami.

Students were given the opportunity to have a taste of what Peruvian food has to offer. Students were fed Peruvian food all throughout the trip and were even given the option to try alpaca.

“For dinner one of the nights, a bunch of students ordered Alpaca. At first, I was a bit startled to try it, because I’m such a picky eater! I had a few bites, and it was amazing! I would definitely come back to this country again,” said Patrick O’ Shea, Div. (047).

Peru was an experience these students are never going to forget. Some already have the desire to revisit later in life.

“I would definitely come back to this country again. From this service learning trip, I was able to help realize that I shouldn’t worry about what I have in life, and really focus on what others have out there compared to myself,” said O’Shea.

Students returned on Apr. 18 exhausted and weary after a long flight back home, but have returned with new insight into the beauties and wonders Peru has to offer.