Goodbye service hours, hello service projects

The internal battle between time and money most students face as they juggle school, sports, clubs, and work.

Destiny Cruz, Reporter

For many years, the graduation requirements included complete up to 40 hours of service either towards the school or the community. But that requirement has come to an end. Now every graduating class has to complete service learning project instead of the 40 hours hands- on service.

Service learning hours have been universally known doing something good in the community. The senior class of 2020 were told that they no longer had to serve around their community but now complete projects that will be given in various classes such as drivers education and Civics.

There has been a wide debate among students as to which is more beneficial for their academics. Is serving the community better because it is known to teach responsibility and develop moral character or is passing project in selected classes more effective because it tests endurance and critical thinking strategies?

Senior Justyna Falgier (Div. 933) said “ I have a personal preference for service hours. Service hours may ensure that students benefit their community by completing multiple tasks. This is more beneficial than a few projects students must complete.”

Jason Anthony (Div. 024) said, “Service projects give people the chances to graduate if they don’t have the time to go out and get hours. Usually students are so busy with athletics or jobs, so it’s harder to obtain hours. Teachers can control what you do and it’s a custom fit for everyone.”

Although both students make an argumentative case, service hours are more effective because they establish a connection between the student and the community. If the student gains hours within Taft, they can they develop a better relationship with the teachers and learn to be a part of something bigger than themselves.