Senior Decision Day is here

Senior Decision Day is here

The AVID Program’s wall shows what colleges and universities their students have chosen to attend for the next four years.

Diana Ocampo, Reporter

Decision Day is coming up on May 1 and many Taft Seniors have yet to choose a college that will guide them on the path to their future career.

May 1 is National College Decision Day, which is the deadline for seniors to finally decide on a college and officially deposit their enrollment to that school. There are many factors that go into making a final decision; a few being money and the preferences the student wants in a school. Many Taft seniors have already submited their deposits and committed to schools, but a few students are conflicted between which schools will give them their best shot in life.

Each college or university has programs and majors that benefit certain students needs. The way to choose the best school for a student is to choose a school that not only has that students major, but also offers a experience that will set them up and help shape them into the person they will become. The experience can give the student new hobbies, life long friends, and a internship in their career while not putting the student in major financial debt.

Senior Avery Leska (Div. 945) is an example of a Taft senior that has yet to commit and is in between schools. Leska is torn between DePaul and Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU), due to the factors of money and which school can give her the best education overall.

“I’d love to go to DePaul since it is a wonderful college, but at the same time I don’t have the money to be able to go for the full four years to get my degree. NEIU is cheaper, but at the same time I wouldn’t be getting the same education as I would be getting in DePaul,” said Leska.

Leska is making his decision a little more difficult by adding in another possibility to his final decision. He may want to join a program that can help him with his future career.

Some students are still between choosing between attending college or taking a loader year. A loader year would allow a student time to either work the year to save money for college, or the student could do a year of internships that would benefit their career in the future.