Boys rugby ready for action

Hayes+along+with+some+of+his+players+putting+hard+work+in+the+weight+room+in+order+to+become+the+best+versions+of+themselves+for+the+season.+

Boys rugby ready for action

Hayes along with some of his players putting hard work in the weight room in order to become the best versions of themselves for the season.

Jaime Gallegos, Reporter

Last season, the boys rugby team concluded their season with an overall record of 4-4-1 in the High School Boys Division 2 of the Illinois Rugby League.

Wins against Marine, Frita, and Golder Muchin were major highlights of the season; however, the Eagles are looking for more than they achieved last year. Senior captain Niall Brady (Div. 928) is entering his fourth season playing rugby with Taft and has big hopes for the upcoming season.

“I want to make sure I stay healthy this year so I’m able to contribute to the team,” said Brady, who missed out on his junior year season due to a concussion endured during a rugby match.      

This upcoming season, the boys rugby team hopes to make a run in the state playoffs and bring a rugby championship home to Taft. Senior scrum half player Elian Martinez (Div. 937) believes that his team has what it takes to end the season on top.

“We have a promising lineup with large strong forwards and a speedy back line,” said Martinez.      

Reflecting back on last season he said, “My favorite win of last season was our senior night against Frita because it showed us how good we really can be and set the tone for the upcoming season.”           The boys opened their season on March 22 against the Marist Red Hawks, with bad weather and torn up fields, resulting in a loss for both varsity and JV.    

Head coach Brian Hayes said, “It was our first game experience with the bad weather, and it was the first time for the whole team to be on a full size field, but overall we did okay. We need a little more fitness and some work on our offensive structures to be ready for the regular season.“