Thirty-nine years and counting

Hayes+along+with+some+of+his+players+putting+hard+work+in+the+weight+room+in+order+to+become+the+best+versions+of+themselves+for+the+season.+

Thirty-nine years and counting

Hayes along with some of his players putting hard work in the weight room in order to become the best versions of themselves for the season.

Rachel Dorsch, Reporter

Going on his forty-seventh year of coaching, Richard Pildes has been a staple in the Taft Eagles community, not only through exquisite teaching skills in history but through his love for the game of baseball.

In 1980, Pildes started as an assistant coach of Taft’s baseball team. As the years progressed, he eventually claimed his well earned title as head coach in 1984.  The years in between have brought memories, a numerous number of talented young men, and champion titles to Taft: 13 conference championships, 7 final four spots and 1 NHHS  Regional baseball Championship to be exact. As of last season, he also marked his 700th win, a enormous accomplishment in the field of coaching.

“It’s always a new year. We try to accomplish as much as we can in the season and move forward from our mistakes. The progression of the team marks an accomplishment,” said Pildes.

Not only has he coached incredible athletes, but notable alumni as well. Taft alumnus of 2016, Jack Suwinski, who started in the Minor League with the San Diego Padres, was coached by Pildes himself. Another is a current student, Ernie Day (Div. 036), who has already made his verbal commitment to University of Miami-Ohio.

“He makes sure he goes into deep detail in practice. It’s all about repetition and answering questions to help make us remember and understand. He has helped me greatly these last three years,” said Day.