Really Aunt Becky?

Really Aunt Becky?

Olivia Jade and her mother Lori Loughlin at a red carpet event prior to the scandal.

Wiktoria Kosinska, Reporter

A federal investigation is currently underway due to a college bribing scandal where several rich actors, influencers, athletes, etc. paid to secure a seat for their child in their desired college. Currently, a total of 50 people are being charged nationwide with felony schemes to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.*

Actress Lori Loughlin who is well known as ‘Aunt Becky’ in the smashing series Full House and Fuller House is specifically getting a lot of attention.

The star is accused of bribing  the University of Southern California (USC) to influence the admittance of both her daughters. Loughlin faked her daughter’s athletic achievements, their SAT scores, and made several other bribes that prosecutors claim total up to about $500,000. Now, Loughlin is set on bail for one million dollars.*

19 year old, Olivia Jade is a social media influencer with her youtube channel and has partnered with many beauty brands sponsorships including popular makeup store and brand Sephora.

Many Taft students are finding what happened unfair and are angered that something like this could happen.

Senior, Selma Hadzic (Div. 914) says  “just because you have money doesn’t mean you’re entitled to everything. It’s crazy that something like this was even possible.“

Another senior Arissa Topczewski (Div. 937) was surprised when she saw the news.

“It really annoyed me when I heard about it because I know how hard it is to get into a college and they just weaved their way in. It’s really aggravating for people who work hard and I think they should be punished. Not necessarily jail but some type of fines,” explains Topczewski.

Lori Loughlin’s and her husband’s hearing has been moved from April 3 to April 15.** As of now, both daughters are still enrolled at USC. *** Though, a USC spokesman has said anyone involved in the scheme will be denied admission and anyone already enrolled will be reviewed by the admissions board.*