Hello to Salyers

Hello to Salyers

Salyers is excited during her third day at Taft.

Veronica Smialkowska, Repoter

Taft was introduced in second semester to a new senior English teacher, Amanda Salyers, filling in for the former English teacher Carla Davidson, who retired after the first semester.

Salyers went to the University of Illinois-Champaign, and University of Illinois-Chicago for her undergrad. She

also went to DePaul University for graduate school.

“I originally became a teacher because I had hit a point in my career where I couldn’t move up anymore without moving to New York and that wasn’t going to happen. I had an English Literature degree and thought going back to school to teach might be a good fit,” said Salyers

Salyers commented on her first day at Taft saying, “My first day was very magical. My last position was at Smyser Elementary teaching 8th grade four years ago. My 8th graders are now seniors here! On my first day, I saw so many former students who are now so grown-up!  They were so excited and surprised to see me, and their enthusiasm made my first day easy and comfortable.”

Even though it is the ending of the school year with her senior classes, Salyers is very excited to finish up the semester with the students.

“I’ve always loved working with students who are getting ready to transition to the next part of their lives, so I think this will be a great couple of months,said Salyers.

Taft welcomes Salyers and are all excited to finish the semester with her.