Onahan help

The fire set in the auditorium of the school, which caused smoke to spread throughout the school.

The fire set in the auditorium of the school, which caused smoke to spread throughout the school.

Veronica Smialkowska, Reporter

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






On Mar. 6, Onahan students flooded the Taft auditorium due to smoke contamination.

Flames broke out in the schools auditorium late Tuesday evening, leaving their school unattainable.

Wednesday morning all the students were dropped off at Taft by a school bus and stayed in the auditorium, watching movies and coloring.

Senior Rachel Dorsch (Div. 927), an alumni from Onahan, helped with the students in the auditorium by seating them and keeping them entertained.

“Everyone was very positive. Even through the tragedy they kept high hopes and carried their positivity here. I did see a couple of students upset, however, it may be because they were overwhelmed and didn’t completely know what was in the future of their school,” Dorsch said.

Most of the students did not seem to be bothered by coming to Taft, but rather excited to be in a high school for the day.

Senior Zuzanna Zeler (Div. 937), whose brother attends Onahan, said, “My brother just stayed home, my mom said there was no point of him even going to school. They got new chairs and tables, but all their school supplies were burnt so now they have to buy new ones.”

The school has been cleaned out, but there is still a struggle with shortness of supplies for the students. Taft sends their support to the students and staff of Onahan and hopes this issue can be resolved quickly.