Here come the JSA

Here come the JSA

SA stands in victory after winning first place at the Club Dodgeball Tournament.

Rachel Demata, Reporter

The Junior State of America (JSA) was created by and for young people interested in what happens around them – from understanding government and politics to contributing to their community.

JSA is a nationwide organization that operates as chapters in high school to specifically help students with these matters. The club has served as a place where students can build leadership skills, learn civil debate, and strengthen their engagement through volunteering, leadership, and activism. With JSA chapters, high school students have a chance to stand up to their beliefs.

“I joined JSA to learn more about getting involved in youth lead political organization with my friends. JSA was a great way to find others who were politically active and shared the same passion for the problems and government as I do,” said club member junior Cristian Flores, Div. 037.

The president of Taft High School’s JSA chapter junior Michael Medina (Div. 023) tells how he started a leading role in this organization.

“I started as a chapter in Taft and I am the president and its founder. The president acts like a leader and makes sure other roles do their part and make answer to other higher positions such as myself and the regional governor. We also get invited to go places across the city like colleges and other high schools to see how other chapters work and to implement their knowledge into our chapter to make improvements and to overall grow together..” said Medina.

In Feb, the JSA also won first place in the first ever Club Dodgeball Tournament set up by the Hellenic Club.

“Since this was JSA’s first year as a club in Taft, it was a great feeling when we won because we showed what we’re capable of as a club,” said club member junior Nikhil Johnson, Div. 047.

JSA meets every Tuesday from 3:15 to 4:30 pm in room 209.