Welcome Iqbal

Taft+welcomes+our+new+English+teacher.+

Welcome Iqbal

Taft welcomes our new English teacher.

Taft welcomes our new English teacher.

Taft welcomes our new English teacher.

Taft welcomes our new English teacher.

Veronica Smialkowska, Reporter

Taft welcomes a new English teacher, Aisha Iqbal who was previously a teachers assistant at a daycare before making the big move to Chicago.

Iqbal grew up in Buffalo, New York but moved to Chicago for graduate school.

“I went to University at Buffalo, and majored in English literature and minored in Japanese. I actually also got a chance to study abroad in college. I spent a year at Konan University in Kobe, Japan. I went to graduate school at Northwestern     University where I got a Master’s in secondary education,” Iqbal said.

Iqbal wanted to become a teacher because of the positive experiences she had with her teachers in her high school career.

“A lot of my teachers during that time made a big impact in my life and I wanted to pay it forward,” said Iqbal.

When asking how Iqbal felt about Taft she responded, “I really enjoy Taft High School, I think it is an amazing school with so many opportunities and wonderful students. I love how easy it is to get to know all the teachers and students because everyone has been so welcoming so far! I’m so excited to be here.”

Iqbal might even be working next year at the Freshman Academy teaching English classes if everything goes according to plan.

“Right now, I don’t have any plans for the future as I just started this job. However, I would love to stay here and learn and grow as a new teacher. I feel that this is the perfect environment to do so!”

Welcoming Iqbal is pleasure for all the students who hope she stays at Taft for a long time.