But first, coffee!

But first, coffee!

Students enjoying a cup of coffee in school during first period to feel energized for the day. 
Photo provided by Kate Garnett

Students enjoying a cup of coffee in school during first period to feel energized for the day. Photo provided by Kate Garnett

Kate Garnett

William Howard Taft has all eight periods in a normal days schedule, but some students believe we should have a block schedule.

Having a block schedule means you have fewer classes a day, but they last longer than a typical class period. There are different types of block schedules, but the most common ones in high schools are the “4×4 schedule,” where a student has only four classes that last about ninety minutes. The goal of this is to finish a course in a semester rather than a whole school year.

Introducing a block schedule to Taft can help students get used to a college setting. Typical college lectures are very similar to block schedules, therefore it can have students prepared on how to manage their time with classes, and work.

Junior Elizabeth Carroll (DIV. 028 ) believes having a block schedule is very beneficial, “I had a block schedule at my old school, and personally I think we should have it. It would be easier for students and teachers to manage their workload. I know a lot of people who attended schools with a block schedule and it helped. Students overall learn how to manage their time better.”

By having a block schedule, students can possibly get more of their work done. Having only half of your normal classes can give students less homework since there would be class time to do it, therefore letting teens get more time out of school to participate in more activities.

With this balance students can go to work, play sports, and have more time to hang out with friends, and more since majority of school work will be done in school.

Student Natalia Gacek (DIV. 037)  said, “I don’t think having a block schedule would be beneficial to Taft students because longer classes would make students bored.

Our attention spans are already low in 50 minute class periods, let alone over an hour.  Many times I see students getting tired in class, or just not paying attention and having longer classes can make these students perform even worse.”

Even though it can help prepare students for college, high school students have a hard time focusing in 50 minute class periods. Teenagers have a low attention span which makes it difficult to focus on things going on in the classroom. Some students prefer to take all their classes everyday because it is what Taft students are used to.

Introducing a block schedule to Taft can help students further prepare them for college, and help them manage school, work, and extracurricular activities. Allowing students to get their work done in class can have students, and teachers accomplish more out of school.