Lions join the nest for a day

Photo+captured+by+community+member+on+Mar.+5+of+the+inside+of+Onahan+Elementary+School+after+the+fire+is+out+and+the+firefighters+are+investigating.+Photo+provided+by+Savannah+Bauer.
Back to Article
Back to Article

Lions join the nest for a day

Photo captured by community member on Mar. 5 of the inside of Onahan Elementary School after the fire is out and the firefighters are investigating. Photo provided by Savannah Bauer.

Photo captured by community member on Mar. 5 of the inside of Onahan Elementary School after the fire is out and the firefighters are investigating. Photo provided by Savannah Bauer.

Photo captured by community member on Mar. 5 of the inside of Onahan Elementary School after the fire is out and the firefighters are investigating. Photo provided by Savannah Bauer.

Photo captured by community member on Mar. 5 of the inside of Onahan Elementary School after the fire is out and the firefighters are investigating. Photo provided by Savannah Bauer.

Arielle Collins

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






  William J. Onahan Elementary School spends the day at Taft, Mar. 6th, due to a fire in the auditorium on Tuesday afternoon.

     *March 5th, Onahan School catches fire in their auditorium, after classes had already been dismissed. Firefighters were alarmed of this and made their way to the school after 5 in the afternoon. The fire was under control and eventually put out, but for the safety of the students and faculty, classes were held here at Taft the following day.

     When asked if the addition of the Onahan students affected our daily school schedule, Principal Mark Grishaber said, “It didn’t. We had about 300 of the Onahan kids here and they were in the theatre and then we, per lunch, brought them up systematically to the lunchroom and we put them on one side. Everything was business as usual, I think our kids got a kick out of seeing the tiny kids in the building and I think it was a good for us, It was a good eye opener for us. We love our little lions.”

     The auditorium was burned to flames, and everything inside it was as well. It is still unknown to what exactly started this fire and yet to be determined whether it was accidental or intentional. No one was injured by the fire, but due to smoke contamination, students were sent to Taft on March 6 and then stayed near the Norwood Park area on Mar. 7. Wednesday morning, buses awaited for Onahan students, which then dropped them off at Taft to resume classes for the day. The students were then picked up by buses again and dropped back off at Onahan for 2:45 p.m. dismissal.***

     “We had to create a new serving line for them, so we just sections off an area and served them. We had 261 servings for lunch and 109 for breakfast. Everything went well, I have a great staff, they all worked well. We were happy to see the babies,” said lunch lady Norma Reyes.

     **As teachers and students are still recovering from the loss of supplies and the overall unexpectedness of the situation, they are settled back at Onahan. As overwhelming as the situation was, Onahan is working to repair the auditorium and getting their supplies back and restored.