Olympiads Test their Knowledge

Olympiads Test their Knowledge

The Science Olympiad winners are shown above. Top left to right: Sebastian Malekpoor, Daki Perugachi, Jon Coonley. Bottom left to right: Ian Katamay, Kevin Williams, Mallory Irizarry.
Photo provided by Catilyn Walsh.

The Science Olympiad winners are shown above. Top left to right: Sebastian Malekpoor, Daki Perugachi, Jon Coonley. Bottom left to right: Ian Katamay, Kevin Williams, Mallory Irizarry. Photo provided by Catilyn Walsh.

Caitlyn Walsh, Reporter

William Howard Taft’s Science Olympiad Club took 2nd place in their tournament at Westinghouse on, Feb. 2 for the Westinghouse College Prep Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament, Division BC.

The Science Olympiad Invitational Tournaments allow school Science Olympiad teams to participate in a local tournament to use as tryouts and preparation for teams to possibly compete in regional, state or national tournaments. Many middle and high schools host these events to give teams in their area a chance to perfect their skills and see a real tournament in action. Taft’s Science Olympiad Club earned medals in eighth of the twelve events and took first place in the category, Wright Stuff, for building the best plane. The Academic Center placed in four of the eleven events and took first place in the Write It, Do It event.

“Basically, Science Olympiad is where there are different teams that all study different fields of science, and then at competitions we compete by either being tested on how much we know or by building a model of some sort,” said junior Mallory Irizarry, Div. 119.

Irizarry and fellow teammate junior, Jon Coonley (Div. 119), took event tests on astronomy and genetics, and they scored the second highest behind Lane Tech College Prep High School.

“It’s a really fun event where you get to show off how much you’ve worked and how much you’ve learned,” said Coonley.

Another event, Wright Stuff, was where students build a model airplane and are scored on how long the plane stays off of the ground.

“I placed first in Wright Stuff, and I was really proud of myself… It was a lot of fun to see my plane actually fly,” said junior Ian Katamay, Div. 217.

The Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament offered over twenty events for each division B and C. These events encourage group learning by designing events that forge alliances.

Science Olympiad will be holding their regional competition on March 16th where the winners will go up against other teams in Illinois.