Lunch Talk

Lunch Talk

Student conversing in the lunchroom.

Student conversing in the lunchroom.

Student conversing in the lunchroom.

Student conversing in the lunchroom.

Melanie Englehardt, Reporter

Many students at Taft have questioned the school lunch, but at the same time, many students still eat it.

Lunch lady, Agnes Loftus personally enjoys the school lunch. Some kids bring school lunch, but not all of them. She said most of the school lunch is healthy. Her personal favorite is the popcorn chicken with chili.

When asked why private schools have nicer lunches then Taft she said, “All CPS schools are the same lunches, they offer the same lunches. I’m not sure about the private schools. It’s the same menu at each CPS school.”

But because our lunch might not be as nice as private schools lunches, Loftus claims no one has ever gotten sick from it. They even give options for kids with allergies.

“We do have allergy free lunches available. We offer sunbutter opposed to peanut butter,” said Loftus.

Junior, Shannon Tierney (Div 018) prefers the school breakfast over the school lunch. When asking if she believes the school lunch is healthy, Tierney said, “It’s always greasy fried foods.”

When Shannon was younger and attended Onahan Elementary, she did a school project where she tried talking to the school about the lunches being bad. She learned there’s a contract with all of Chicago and Aramark, so you can’t really do anything about it.

Many people have different views on school lunch. Loftus and Roman both agree that the lunch is healthy and tastes good and Tierney says she likes the breakfast that the school offers. Even though both may be true, at the end of the day the food still has all the nutritious requirements we need to tackle for the rest of the day.