Girls Varsity Basketball Team Senior Night

On+Feb+5%2C+Taft+celebrates+Girls+Senior+for+basketball+to+commemorate+all+the+hard+work+and+dedication+they+put+into+the+team.+

On Feb 5, Taft celebrates Girls Senior for basketball to commemorate all the hard work and dedication they put into the team.

Kate Garnett, Reporter

On Feb 5, William Howard Taft hosted a Senior Night for the girls basketball team to honor all the hard work, and dedication they provided on the court.

The event started off with a heartwarming speech from Coach Kirk Vidas. He individually talked about each of the seniors on the team, how much they meant to the team, and to him personally. He described each of them as hard working, dedicated, and talented young women with bright futures ahead of them.

Before the game started against Steinmetz High School, Coach Vidas had a ceremony for the Seniors where he had the freshman, JV, and remaining Varsity players line up alongside the Poms team where the Senior players would be given a personalized speech about their dedication, and a thank you to them, and their parents. Coach Vidas’s words were very heartwarming, some even started to cry as they had a bitter sweet goodbye to their team.

Vidas says “This is a special group of girls, they have been with us for four years and from the start it was very good. They were the the first group that I’ve coach that went to the City Final Four as freshman. They have been playing varsity for all four years, they are all so talented, and we are going to lose a lot when they leave. In a way I’m very happy for them, and also kind of sad that they are going. We had a lot of good moments together, but one of my favorites will always be winning the Lane games since that is a priority to us.”

The team had many good wins this year, and also some tough loses. The girls are headed off to sectionals to play Oak Park, and if they win the team will move on to the Regional Championship against the number one team in the state, Maine West.

Senior Co-Captain Melanie Englehardt (DIV. 947) says “Leaving is really sad, and I haven’t thought about it until now because next week can be our last week depending on how we play. I hope to continue playing in college, and have a few offers to a bunch of different schools which is a hard decision to make. The team taught me so much that if I never played, I wouldn’t be the person I am today. I hope the girls pick up where we left off since we had a really good season, and since three of our captains are seniors the younger girls need to step up which I  know they can do.”

These seniors have brought a lot to Taft’s Varsity girls Basketball Team the past four years, and it is a hard goodbye to these phenomenal players.