New Year, New Me

New Year, New Me

Engel ready for the new year.

Engel ready for the new year.

Engel ready for the new year.

Engel ready for the new year.

Jaime Gallegos, Reporter

A new year for many is a time for new beginnings, chances, and resolutions. For Taft students, 2018 was a year filled with success,  but also failures. With the start of 2019, it’s beneficial to aim for positive changes that can impact your life.

A common problem many students faced was time management, specifically the struggle of setting aside enough time to get homework and other school related activities done. Freshman Morgan Najm  (Div. 231) said “I usually don’t finish a lot of my homework at home because I always get caught up doing something else.”

An overabundance of homework was a key issues that brought stress into numerous students, and for Morgan, she wants to know “how can I balance my time better between school, sports, and a job?”

Popular English teacher, Brad Engel says, “School is most important and should always be priority no matter what… if you make a commitment to a sports team, that needs to be your second priority.. If you really must work and there’s no way around that, don’t join a sport.”

Being able to commit to something is important, but when it comes to balancing school, work, and extracurricular activities, school should be at the top of your priority list. School provides resources for students to carry with them as they transition into college, and later on, their careers in life. If you have available time in your day, and you want to commit to an activity, do it. Participating in extracurricular activities opens doors for both new relationships and maybe even a new life path.

Another bump in the road that high school students hit at one point in their academic career is the decision of where to go for college.

Senior Michael Casey (Div. 921) wonders, “What should I look for when choosing a college?”

When it comes time to planning your future, students have a hard time deciding whether they want to go away for college and attend a 4 year university. Leaving their friends, family, and life style behind, a common worry arises questioning if the decision is affordable for their financial capabilities.

If you ask Mr. Engel, he’ll tell you to follow your dreams. “You want to have options and you want to at least have the choice to pick any of the careers available to you not just any career you set your mind to years before.” said Engel.

Offering a bit of insight from his experiences, Engel advises students to go away for school. “It’s the best years of your life, it’s the only time in your life you’ll be around people your own age with that much freedom.”

College is a vital four years in a teenagers life, whether you go away or not, that prepares them for the real world. It’s a time where kids mature into young adults, as well as learn how accomodate a new from of responsibility and independence. College is a great way to learn new tactics of life and discover who you are.

As an excelling individual in his career, Engel has come to notice that seniors often do not have a plan figured out a plan for the rest of their lives. Thinking ahead and planning out the future as a 17-18 year old may seem too early at the moment, but he believes that it is a crucial thing a student should be considering at this point in time.   

“In 6 months, this chapter of your life will be over, what happens the next day? You set up your own future” said Engel.

The new year is a chance of reflection and change, to recover for anything that went wrong the previous year. Many eagles plan to make this year better academically by switching up their routines.