Is It Time To Say Goodbye To Home?

Is It Time To Say Goodbye To Home?

Students have to make the decision on whether it’s time to leave home and go off to college. Senior Giana Havranek stuck between ISU and UIC.

Patricia Magpantay, Reporter

It is that time of the year when many of our Taft seniors are getting acceptance letters and emails from their dream schools. They have to make the decision for themselves if it’s time to say goodbye to home cooked meals and leave the nest.

Going away for college gives students an opportunity to grow and mature without their parents and learn for themselves through having their own experiences in the real world and adulthood. Many say that in order to learn to live on your own you have to be on your own, living alone develops independence and responsibility.

Computer Science teacher Claire Child, a recent graduate from Depaul University, from experience says,” I think if I stayed at home I wouldn’t have developed life skills like: doing my own laundry, going to the grocery store, or paying an electric bill. It sounds so simple but I think going away for college allows you to develop those adult skills, that if you stayed at home with parents. you wouldn’t develop.” College is said to be the place to “find yourself” and who you truly are. Exploring different cultures, areas, and getting involved in activities and socializing help shape and mature a person. Having the opportunity of going away for college, opens many doors of opportunities; students are able to go out and see the world.

Student teacher Daniel Rooney, currently attending Loyola University, recommends to, “Go out and experience college because there are a lot circumstances that make it different for everybody. If you have the opportunity to, you should.” Many students choose to not leave end up staying home which is a huge cut down on expenses since college can leave someone with a heavy loan that can be hard to pay back.

Some students even work while going to school to earn enough money to be able to eventully move out.Leaving family is also a hard thing to do and some may wish to stay with them because family can provide the support system one can need, especially in a huge transition in becoming an adult.

Senior Giana Havranek (Div. 947) plans to stay home while attending UIC. She says chooses to stay home because, “You save a lot money. It’s a huge comfort, you already know the neighborhoods, you already know the people around. You’re going to meet new people and explore already in college and I want to stay with my family.”

College is a big decision to make, and where one plans to attend is different for everyone depending on their situation financially, emotionally and mentally. It all comes down to what you think is best for you.