They’re Just My Keys!

Andres Hernandez, Reporter

Random bag checks are conducted to ensure that our school is a safe haven for students and a safe workplace for school officials, but is it really that effective?

CPS Administration authorizes school officials to search students and visitors of the belongings they bring to the school and to seize any weapon or contraband recovered in such searches. This authorization was made to ensure that schools have the right to regulate security within their school.

At Taft High School there are nearly 3,400 students, making it nearly impossible

for bag checks to be administered every morning to each student. Therefore, a system of clickers is used to determine who gets bag checked every morning. Although bag checks provide safety and security for the school, some searches, however, are too excessive. Students who are randomly bag check, have their bags screened and also opened as security checks for contraband including: electronic vaping devices, drugs, and weapons.

This process is vital for the safety of our school, but when does a bag check go too far? Multiple students have concerns regarding the method used when bag checking. Some students reported feeling overly questioned and searched. “I was bag checked and I was kind of scared personally, because a security guard was looking through my stuff and kept asking if I had things I can’t have. I said no multiple times, but they kept asking”, said junior Julia Varvara (Div. 037 )

Bag checks are important for the safety of the school, but intense searches such as the one experienced by Varvara are too excessive.Suspecting students have illegal items in bags and also questioning each and every item in their bag seems like students are being interrogated.School bag checks should consist of a thorough search of the student, but should not go to the extent of having each and every item questioned and checked. Faster bag checks will also allow more students to have their bag checked by security, increasing the bag checks efficiency as a whole.