Eagles Rake it Up

Eagles Rake it Up

Deanna Gorder working at the frount desk at the Leaning Tower YMCA in Niles.
Photo porvided by Deanna Gorder

Deanna Gorder working at the frount desk at the Leaning Tower YMCA in Niles. Photo porvided by Deanna Gorder

Kate Garnett, Reporter

William Howard Taft’s very own Eagles are working hard inside, and outside of school to mature as young adults. Many teens uphold the role of a student and a worker. Typically, students choose to work at food chains, retail stores, or athletic facilities.

Senior Deanna Gorder (Div. 917) said “I’ve been working at the YMCA in Niles for a couple months now, and it teaches me a great deal of responsibility especially because I work with children while the parents work out. It is really important to me to be my best because people are relying on me to watch their kids.” Not only getting paid $11.00 an hour, Gorder also  receives an included membership which she says is a “cool benefit” of the job.

Balancing school work, extra curricular activities, and a job can be overwhelming for a high school student. With hours of homework due the next day, on top of sports or club meetings, getting a job may add stress, but many take it as a learning experience to help them prepare for the real world.

Senior Brandon Padilla (Div. 922) an employee at Noodles and Company says “It taught me how to be more of a people person since I have to learn how to communicate with the customers. We have a lot of benefits working there like health care, and the manager is super supportive and helps you with personal issues if needed.” Padilla receives $12.00 an hour, and adds that “it’s really fun.”

Working in retail is a well known and popular job for students. Senior Rachel Dorsch (Div.927) is one of the newest employees at Vineyard Vines.

“I work at the Vineyard Vines in the Rosemont Outlet Mall as a sales associate, which means I fold clothes, help customers, and check out the customers,” said Dorsch.

Working 5 days a week for a rate of $12.00 an hour, Dorsch adds that she enjoys all the hours.

“I don’t really mind working so often because I know I will reward myself in the end, and I get a 50% discount throughout the whole store. It makes me more independent, and I think it is preparing me for the real world,” says Dorsch.

Having a job as a student teaches teens communication, responsibility, balance, and how to be independent. Getting a job can help teach students at a young valuable skills that are needed later in life. Taft Eagles are taking on the double, sometimes triple role of students, athletes, and employees to benefit and produce for their lives later on.