Are You Satisfied Yet?

Are You Satisfied Yet?

Senior Selma Hadzic watching a satisfying kinetic sand cutting video in her free time.
Photo By Wiktoria Kosinska

Senior Selma Hadzic watching a satisfying kinetic sand cutting video in her free time. Photo By Wiktoria Kosinska

Wiktoria Kosinka, Reporter

Pop culture and trends are constantly changing. Within the past couple of weeks, “Oddly Satisfying” videos have taken over the internet. From things like carving soap to squishing slime, these videos can be seen on almost every social media platform causing these ordinary actions to gain a lot of attention. It also has become very addicting for viewers.

For those who may not be aware of the newfound trend, “Oddly Satisfying” videos are short clips that range anywhere from the smooth slice a knife has when carving off soap, to perfectly cutting many different things such as kinetic sand. There are even some videos of people dipping a spoon into a fresh jar of nutella and putting the video in reverse. These types of videos are always done slowly so that the audience can enjoy the perfection of the action. Usually, there is no music or background noise all you can hear is the sound effects of whatever the creator is doing. So what is the hype about all these videos, and why do millions of people continue to watch them?

“If your focus is on watching the video and appreciating the beauty of the video, we start to forget all the other stuff going on in our lives and give our brains some time to relax. Even though those stressors might be there when we are done watching, the video’s simplicity gives people a brain break to clear their thoughts and then maybe be able to handle the stressors once back to “reality” like meditation does.” explains psychology teacher Kendra Foran.

All of the interest in these videos can be explained psychologically. Foran explains the mirror neurons in our brain enjoy the video because since we aren’t doing these tasks watching it is the next best thing. “Our mirror neurons allow us to feel as if we are doing the behaviors or going through the situation ourselves. They are the same reason that your stomach drops and you get nervous when you see someone walking along the edge of a really high building or you yawn when someone else yawns.”

Senior Alex Augustyn (Div. 945) explains, “I watch them once or twice a day but once I watch one I just get really sucked into it. They’re just really addicting.”

It’s difficult for many people to understand why a video that is so short and simple can bring such a relaxing and satisfying feeling. Many would say that it’s actually a stress reliever and can really calm a person down. Other psychologists claim that these videos give viewers the “just right” feeling that allows our brains have a moment to feel at peace. Due to the accuracy and precision of the videos, our brains can feel comfort it may even work like a sort of meditation.

Senior Selma Hadzic (Div. 914) says “Generally when I watch them I’m super bored and I need a distraction and they’re very distracting. They’re just very pleasing to the eye”.

A lot of people watching them don’t think much about it. Students like Hadzic will just scroll through social media and accidentally stumble upon them. However, once you start watching the videos, it’s like a black hole that’s hard to escape.

It’s easy to say that everyone has at one point seen a glimpse or at least heard of these Oddly Satisfying videos. That being said, it is good to know that although they may be addictive, they may even have a positive effect on our minds.