Beyond The Eye

Beyond The Eye

Old children’s book series, “The Berenstain Bears” being compared to how people remember it being spelled as “The Berenstein Bears”.

Kate Garnett, Reporter

The Mandela Effect is a widely talked about conspiracy theory that claims that many people remember certain events or concepts in a different way that they are portrayed today  because the Earth at some point entered a “parallel universe.” This so called “left behind evidence” from the other universe, may lead individuals to remember things that never actually happened. **

The theory states that the parallel universe over lapped our reality, leaving tiny details that are different from our memories.It is believed to have started when many people claim that the famous Nelson Mandela died in prison in the 1980’s, but he actually passed away on December 5, 2013. This event is what sparked the theory, therefore, calling it “The Mandela Effect.” Since then many more cases similar to this have surfaced.

One of the more common Mandela Effects is about the old children’s book series called “The Berenstain Bears”; many recall this series being spelled “The Berenstien Bears” but that is not the case. There are a lot more weird occurrences like this one that deals with how things are spelled, like the cereal “Froot Loops” is commonly mistaken to be spelled as “Fruit Loops”. Also, in the iconic movie trilogy series Star Wars, character Darth Vader seems to say “Luke, I am your father” but he actually never said that. In the movie he actually says “No, I am your father.” This got a lot of people buzzing.*

Junior Gianna SanFilippo (Div. 027) says, “I personally believe in the Mandela Effect since I remember things being one way, but that is never what it was. It could just be a coincidence that small details are mistaken as something else in so many people’s memories, but I think it is a very interesting theory”.

Youtuber Shane Dawson tends to attract large audiences by doing many conspiracy theory videos, some even being on the Mandela Effect. He describes another possibility of how the Mandela Effect came to be. “Many people also believe that time travelers came, and changed small things that took a bigger effect. In the future, it may be in 1,000 years from now, but time travel will happen, so that means people could have been traveling to our time and changing things which makes us think something happened, but it never did” Dawson explains.***

Junior Claudia Malicki (Div. 029) says, “I’ve known about the Mandela Effect for a while and when I see things differently from what I thought it was, I question why I remembered it that way. It could be from miscommunication of people, or it really could be we got connected to a parallel universe.”

The Mandela Effect has had many people wondering why some remember things different  then it actually is. The theories of our reality crossing into an alternate universe, or time travelers changing objects and events could be the answer to that question, or is it?

Sources:

*https://mandelaeffect.com/

**https://www.theodysseyonline.com/9-mind-blowing-mandela-effects