New Addition to NJROTC

New Addition to NJROTC

Taft’s new addition to the NJROTC unit, Senior Naval Science Intsructor Captain Jenkins.
Photo by Arielle Collins

Taft’s new addition to the NJROTC unit, Senior Naval Science Intsructor Captain Jenkins. Photo by Arielle Collins

Arielle Collins, Reporter

As Taft’s Navy Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps (NJROTC) underwent new administration, new to the Eagle community is Captain Mark Jenkins as the Senior Naval Science Instructor.

Prior to joining the Eagle community, he worked for the State of Illinois as an engineer as a fulltime job and served in the Navy. Jenkins worked as a Reservist, which serves as officers or enlisted personnel, depending on their qualifications and interests, and has earned the rank as a Captain. He contributed his service to the United States for 29 faithful years, beginning in 1985, and had such a pleasure in doing so.

“I wanted to serve the United States, I was proud to be an American,” said Jenkins.

Captain Jenkins grew up around Norwood park, which sparked Principal Mark Grishaber’s interest in Jenkins.

“ (Jenkins) Character but also he was a neighborhood guy and he’s born and raised in this neighborhood so he knows my kids,” said Grishaber.

As the Senior Naval Science Instructor, he is very proud to be apart of the Taft Community and work with the students. As his first year teaching at Taft, he is pleased and very impressed with the students.

“Mr. G is an incredible leader and sets very high goals. I think the vast majority of the people here are trying to achieve those goals,” said Jenkins.

For the next few years teaching as the Senior Naval Science Instructor, Jenkins advice for the new coming NJROTC Cadets is that you are the way to your success.

“The two things I’ve learned is that half of life is just showing up, show up. Second, Just play by the rules and follow the rules and it’s a lot easier, you’ll go farther,” said Jenkins.

Jenkins transition in careers from the Navy, to Engineering and now to teaching has been something different for him. He is pleased with the experience so far and enjoys teaching here at Taft.

Taft welcomes NJROTC’s new instructor, Captain Jenkins, alongside Master Chief Richard Kough and Chief Felica Houston.