Teacher of the Month

Teacher of the Month

Nicole Wiktor smiles for her recognition as being teacher of the month. 
Photo by Destiny Cruz

Nicole Wiktor smiles for her recognition as being teacher of the month. Photo by Destiny Cruz

Destiny Cruz, Reporter

Administration awarded science teacher Nicole Wiktor teacher of the month for her recent accomplishments and initiative.

Teacher of the month is designed to “spotlight” dedicated and talented teachers who have served countless hours within the school.

Wiktor was a member of the Taft community in her early years of high school. She was a part of the swim and water polo teams, and joined Taft’s band program. Wiktor received the International Baccalaureate Diploma her senior year.

“When I was her teacher years ago for Honors Biology her freshman year…I would say she’s very confident and independent, she’s obviously very smart, and down to earth,” said science teacher, William McDade, one of Wiktor’s teachers when she was in the IB program.

After graduating from Taft, Wiktor went to the University of Illinois in Champaign. She wanted to pursue a career in Physical Therapy but after interning, she realized the field was not for her. She then returned to school and got a teaching degree.

Wiktor has currently been teaching at Taft for four years. In the 2018 school year, Wiktor created a new IB course called Exercise, Sports, and Health Science. It is a two year IB class that prepares students for the curriculum  they will see in college.

“Creating a new class takes a ton of effort and planning, but I believe it is worth it especially since this class can help prepare students for college curriculum in not only the sciences but also the health field,” said Wiktor.

Wktor’s determination to make student’s exel is what connects her to her students.

”She is very engaged in making sure students learn the material, she’s all about quality over quantity, I think she’s a great teacher that knows how to connect with students,” said another one of Wiktor’s previous students, Preet Talati, Div. 027.

Wiktor continues to excel, being well involved in the school and making a difference. Taft congratulates her for her accomplishments and dedication.