Taft Seniors Dream Big

Taft Seniors Dream Big

Senior Filippo Maida holds his acceptance letter to the University of Tampa  with pride.

Senior Filippo Maida holds his acceptance letter to the University of Tampa with pride.

Melanie Englehardt, Reporter

Taft 2019 graduating seniors have already been receiving acceptance letters from their applied schools during the month of November.

The eighth grade graduating class of 2015 is seven months away from being the 2019 graduating class at Taft High School. Many of these students have had their ideal dream college in mind and now they’re receiving acceptance letters to these schools.

Senior Giana Havranek (Div. 947) applied to a few different colleges this fall. She applied and was accepted to the University of Illinois in Chicago, Bradley University, and Illinois State University. Of all her options, Illinois State University was her dream school.

“I really like the campus… I was looking for a college with a good environment and good campus. I didn’t want a school that was too big or too small… and they have my major (economics), which I want to study in,” said Havranek, when asked why this is her dream school. She received an academic scholarship from the university and plans to attend the school next fall.

Senior Filippo Maida (Div. 917) was accepted recently into his dream school, the University of Tampa.

When asked what made this his top college, Maida said, “The location, it’s in a very warm area in Florida and the campus is very nice. I’m looking for big campus, nice weather, and a good time.”

Maida is determined to major in physical therapy and sports medicine. He plans on attending this university next fall.

Senior, Colette Kostrzewa (Div. 917), was accepted into South Dakota State and Michigan State University. Michigan State has been Kostrzewa’s dream school since the sixth grade. She plans to major in the medical science program and pursue her career in becoming a vet.

Kostrzewa plans on attending Michigan State next fall, but she said, “The tuition is a huge factor that I have to think about.”