Award Winning Coach

Award Winning Coach

Boys Varsity soccer coach, Jeffery Lucco, displays his drive and passion to win as he mentors his team from the sidelines.
Photo by Melanie Englehardt

Boys Varsity soccer coach, Jeffery Lucco, displays his drive and passion to win as he mentors his team from the sidelines. Photo by Melanie Englehardt

Melanie Englehardt, Reporter

United Soccer Coaches 30 Under 30 Program recognized Head Varsity Soccer Coach, Jeffery Lucco, who has taken Taft Boys Soccer to State Finals in 2017 and won a conference championship in 2018.

Lucco is not only the Head Coach of the Boys Taft Varsity soccer team and Girls Varsity Von Steuben soccer team, but he’s also a teacher for Academic Center Social Studies and now a member of the United Soccer Coaches 30 Under 30 program. The 30 Under 30 Program is a year-long education and mentorship opportunity for a special group of 15 male and 15 female coaches who are leading the way in developing soccer players and enhancing the game.*

The United Soccer Coaches are the largest coaching association in the United States. They organize coaching education courses, publish a soccer quarterly, and host an annual national convention, which will be held in Chicago in 2019.

Lucco made the birth date deadline by nine days, despite being already 30 years old. He was one of the 15 male coaches and one of the six high school coaches that have been selected. By explaining his reason for coaching and how he would use it to impact the community, he was able to receive the award.

“I have always seen coaching and teaching as my calling, and I think doing both provides a unique opportunity to impact young people,” said Lucco.

Lucco coached the team with the record of 6-14-2: however, the award focuses less on results and more on what the coach can do or hopes to do, by developing as a professional with the help of a mentor coach.

“All mentor coaches are current professional or collegiate coaches that are respected for their accomplishments on and off the field, so I am really excited about the opportunity to learn from someone with a ton of experience,” said Lucco.

With this year’s convention held in Chicago, thousands of coaches from all over the country will attend,  and Lucco will use the opportunity to network with other coaches.

“One of the cooler aspects is being able to represent Chicago at this year’s convention. I’m hoping the experience allows me to better lead Taft and hopefully branch out and impact soccer throughout Chicago,” said Lucco.

Lucco, with the aid of his new acceptance as a member of the United Soccer Coaches 30 Under 30 Program, continues to excel Taft’s Boys Soccer program, as well as Von Steuben’s Girls Soccer program for the better.