Football’s First City Championship Since 1972

The Eagles celebrate their city win after a 46 year drought. 
Photo by SunTimes Photographer Worsom Robinson.

The Eagles celebrate their city win after a 46 year drought. Photo by SunTimes Photographer Worsom Robinson.

By Keely Simon, Reporter

After celebrating a city playoff win against the Westinghouse Warriors, followed by a bye-week, theTaft Eagles football team defeated the Solorio Sun Warriors 29-13 on Nov. 16 at Lane Stadium.

It has been 46 years since the Eagles have brought home a city championship title. The Eagles (6-5) were up against the Sun Warriors (7-4) in the city championship game. It was a rough start for the Eagles as the Sun Warriors took a seven point lead late in the first quarter. It didn’t take long for the Eagles to bounce back and regain the lead in the second quarter when Dexter Stigall (Div. 020) went for a eleven yard touchdown to make the game 15-13 going into halftime.

By the third quarter, the Eagles dominated  the Sun Warriors. With another touchdown from the Eagles and two key interceptions from Jaime Gallegos (Div. 922), the team was one step closer to a city title .

“I feel like we all did a good job at staying focused on the game and not letting ourselves drop our heads too early even though we started losing early on,” said Gallegos. He added, “I can’t even describe the feeling. It feels amazing knowing that I was a part of history. It still hasn’t sunk in even twenty four hours later but it feels amazing.”

With a 22-13 lead heading into the fourth quarter, the Eagles continued to shut down the Sun Warriors offense. Stigall’s second touchdown of the game, gave Taft a 29-13 victory over Solorio and crowned the Eagles the new city champions.

Key players of the game include quarterback Daniel Loch (Div. 115)  with 40 passing yards, Jermaine Johnson (Div. 926) and Roberto Salgado (Div. 021), who both had a touchdown a piece, and Kobe Collins (Div. 937) with two interceptions and a two tackles  along with Christopher Rannochio (Div. 935) with three and a half tackles of the game.

“Everyone in their hearts knew we had to make school history and that is what we did tonight,” Salgado said.

Collins, who plays wide receiver, said, “The momentum was not on our side at the start of the game with being down a touchdown, but the team was able to come together and shift that momentum. The rest is now history.” He added, “I will remember this game for the rest of my life.”

Head Coach John Tsarouchas stated, “It’s a privilege to bring the city championship back to Taft. A lot of work, over a long period of time, went into winning this championship.” He added, “This is a special group and I’m honored to be their coach.”

Tsarouchas ends the season with a big victory. He said, “This championship is the validation our kids deserve after years of hard work.”   

Source: *https://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2018/11/16/taft-city-title-football-solorio/