Eagles Fall Short In City, Now Looking Ahead To State Regional

Alex Burstein, Reporter

The Eagles entered the CPS postseason with a 20-3 record, one of the best in CPS, and drew Clemente for the first playoff game of the 2018 season. Clemente also entered the contest with a strong record, having had a 17-1 record.

In what would be expected to be a battle of two of the best teams in CPS, the Eagles were able to easily take care of the Clemente Wildcats by a score of 6-0. This win knocked out Clemente and sent the Eagles to the CPS quarterfinals.

The Eagles, however, did not have the day they wanted to have in the quarterfinals against Morgan Park. A 3-0 lost to the Mustangs ended the Eagles city playoffs a little too early. However, it does give the Eagles more rest for upcoming games.

It was a disappointing end to the CPS season for sure, but the Eagles have a chance to rebound on a much bigger scale – the IHSA state playoffs. The Eagles have two more non-conference tune-ups to prepare Taft for what hopes to be a long playoff run.

The Eagles will first travel to Bensenville to take on Fenton who is 3-19 Friday afternoon. Then on Saturday Taft will play their final regular season game of the year against the Brooks Eagles, in what should be a competitive, yet low-key match.

But after these games are the games that really matter, the Illinois High School Baseball Playoffs. What starts with 168 teams in the start, will reduce to 32 regional champions, 8 sectional champions, and then the ultimate trip to Joliet to play in the Class 4A state semifinals and finals at Silver Cross Field.

The Eagles were placed into the Loyola Academy sectional where they will be playing in the Notre Dame regional just a few minutes away in Niles. The Eagles drew the number 12 seed in the Loyola Academy sectional.

The road will start this Monday against fellow CPS school Schurz. The game will be held on Taft’s home grounds and starts at 4:30 PM. This is the first time the two teams are playing against each other this season with Schurz holding the 21st and last seed. A win in the first round will take Taft to Niles to play against Notre Dame, the 6 seed, in the regional semifinals. Taft and Notre Dame have not played each other yet this season.

Win and play on, lose and go home – for the season. And for a team that is heavy on seniors, the team is looking for at least 1 or 2 more wins this season. This season has had its fair share of high points with one of the best regular season records in recent Taft history, a conference title, Coach Pildes 700th win, and a first round CPS win, but the baseball team is looking to end the season with an exclamation point. Come out this Monday  May 21, at 4:30 p.m. to support the Eagles in their quest to state in the regional quarterfinals.